The Loulé Administrative Court gave a reason to the Algarve Free Petroleum Platform (PALP) and suspended the license (TUPEM) for the ENI / GALP consortium to drill the hydrocarbon prospecting offshore Aljezur.
In the decision known today, the Court granted the preliminary ruling of the PALP and, consequently, suspended the “effectiveness of the act of issuing TUPEM”.
In addition, the Court of First Instance called on ‘the parties concerned not to proceed with any work, whether preparatory to the prosecution or its execution’.
Ana Matias, one of the people responsible for the PALP, explained to the South Information that the platform “placed this precautionary measure against the Ministry of the Sea and the ENI / GALP consortium to prevent TUPEM, which allowed it to be done the drill, from September, offshore Aljezur. In this action, filed last year, we asked that all work be suspended until the sentence comes out, which came out today. Fortunately, the judge ruled that TUPEM was wrongly assigned.
According to Ana Matias, with this sentence, ‘what we are certain is that, until there is a decision of another type, the ENI / Galp consortium can not make the drill. This was our front line in the fight. Now we have to wait for the next developments. It is likely that companies will make use of it, but for now we have won this process and it is stopped ».
Despite the precautionary measure, filed by PALP in 2017, to have suspensive effects, a resolution from the Ministries of the Sea and Economy, invoking public interest, allowed “for some time, permission to have a hole,” Ana Matias explains.
However, on 3 July, after that reasoned resolution was contested by PALP, ‘the judge ruled that there was no public interest, only matters of a contractual nature and the suspensory effect was again in force. Now the final decision has come “, he concludes.
On Saturday evening, the President of the Republic received, in audience, in Almancil, PALP and MALP, who presented their arguments against the exploitation of hydrocarbons in the Algarve. President Marcelo Rebelo de Sousa said he would now reflect on what was said at that meeting .
Original article by Nuno Costa: http://www.sulinformacao.pt